Have you seen the historic one-room historic schoolhouse that stands in the heart of the City of Mississauga?
Have you ever wondered about its history?
The late Benson (Ben) Madill (1915-2013) left behind a treasure trove of memories and recollections about life and time in historic Mississauga (particularly focused on the rural community of Britannia) and on the old Britannia Schoolhouse. In particular, his book Britannia School and School Farm … and My School Days captures a period of time and conveys a wonderful story of rural historic Mississauga, and of a one-room schoolhouse that still, thanks in part to his efforts, and that of many, many others. The Old Britannia Schoolhouse, formerly S.S. #12 Toronto Township, was built c1852, replacing an earlier clapboard school building. A date of 1876 has often been given for the schoolhouse, but this date is likely referencing repairs and alterations to the 1852 brick building.The Old Britannia Schoolhouse welcomed generations of children from 1852 until 1959 when it closed its doors. Since 1982, and continuing today, students and public have had the opportunity to visit the Old Britannia Schoolhouse and participate in first-person historical re-enactments of early settlement life in historic Mississauga.
For more information please visit: www.britanniaschoolhousefriends.org
Located at 5576 Hurontario Street, the Old Britannia Schoolhouse will once again be the site of the 3rd annual Pinnacle Fall Fair with Ward Five Councillor Carolyn Parrish on Saturday, September 21, from 1 pm to 8 pm, culminating with fireworks. There will be many other family activities on the day, but a feature will be the 2nd Regiment of York 1812 re-enactors (Thompson’s Company), who will be on hand with battle re-enactments and encampment activities throughout the day. A local connection from the community of Britannia to the history of the War of 1812 is found in Private James Lougheed (1799-1872), who served with the 2nd Regiment of York Militia during the war, and settled in the Britannia area following the war, in 1819. He is buried a short distance away from the Britannia Schoolhouse in the Britannia Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery.