Provisional Agreement 13-A was ratified with the signing of Treaty 14 on September 5, 1806, also known as the “Head of the Lake Purchase”. The Mississaugas were compensated 1000 pounds of Province currency, given largely in trade goods. Treaty 14 encompassed some 85,000 acres of land.
Treaty 14, was signed William Claus on behalf of the Crown, and Mississauga Chiefs Chechalk, Quenepenon, Wabukanyne, Okemapenesse, Wabenose, Kebonecence, Osenego, Acheton, Pataquan and Wabakagego. The signing was witnessed by D. Cameron, Donald MacLean, George Ferguson, Captain of the Canadian Regiment, William Crowther, Lieutenant 41st Regiment, James Davidson, Hospital Staff, H.M. Smith, Peter Selby, Assistant Secretary of Indian Affairs, J.B. Rousseaux and David Price, Interpreter. Treaty 14 reaffirmed the importance of the fisheries at Twelve Mile Creek, Sixteen Mile Creek, Etobicoke Creek and the Credit River to the Mississaugas’ way of life.
Comments are closed.