As we continue to recognize Soil Conservation Week, we look back at some of the historic farms in Mississauga and their impact on our landscape.
Allison Family & the “Fairview Manor Farm”
Andrew Allison (1802-1866) came to Canada from County Tyrone, Northern Ireland in 1825. He acquired a 200-acre farm property at the northeast corner of what is now Burnhamthorpe Road and Cawthra Road. He built a log house in 1826, and over time established a successful farm. Andrew married Sarah Moore, with whom he had six children: Mary Ann (1830-1905), Henry (1831-1915), James (1833-1916), Andrew Jr. (1834-1914), Samuel (1836-1928) and Thomas (1837-1913).
With the expansion of his family, Andrew built a new brick farmhouse in 1835, as well as a new barn and several outbuildings. Andrew also operated a small brickyard, together with George Tolman. The Allison family, who were Presbyterian in faith, attended Dixie Union Chapel. Andrew Allison, through his sister Nancy’s marriage to William McKinley in Pennsylvania, was the uncle of American President William James McKinley (1843-1901).
Andrew’s son James built a two-story brick house on the family farm, which he named “Fairview Manor Farm”. When Andrew passed away in 1866, his youngest son Thomas Allison took over the family property.
His wife, Lucinda Cook, was the daughter of Jacob Cook for whom Cooksville is named. The Allison farm remained in the Allison family until 1943, and the farm was sold for development in 1969.