This year we will be recognizing Canada Day differently as we collectively unite as a nation to stand in solidarity with our Indigenous communities who are in unimaginable pain mourning for the many children lost in Residential Schools across Canada.
As Canadians we acknowledge when our communities are suffering and we support them. That is what Canada has been known for, our kindness and compassion.
We are facing a part of our history together, one that has been hidden from many and suffered by many.
Today, and in the days moving forward, we reflect on our history and in finding a path to reconciliation together.
Here are some Canada Day activities that you can participate in to take ReconciliACTION:
- Learn and post the land acknowledgement in your region
- Write to your local representatives and ask them to take action on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action http://trc.ca/assets/pdf/Calls_to_Action_English2.pdf
- Take part in the Every Child Matter Walk: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/every-child-matters-walk-tickets-161485444311
- Research information about the First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities in your region
- Research the history of Residential Schools