The historic village of Lorne Park, distinct from the well-known Lorne Park Estates, developed north of Lakeshore Road along Lorne Park Road. Lorne Park was named after the fourth Governor General of Canada (1878-1883), John George Edward Henry Douglas Sutherland Campbell, 9th Duke of Argyll, the Marquis de Lorne. Despite being surrounded by more prominent villages, Lorne Park developed an independent character of its own. Lorne Park was home to the famed Glen Leven Hotel, the Albertonia Hotel, a general store and post office, the Lorne Park Mission Hall, an early public library, church, community hall, school, and the Lockerby Poultry Farm, amongst numerous other businesses. Landmarks scattered along Lorne Park’s roads recall the early development of the village.