This is the 37th year that Heritage Week has been commemorated in Ontario.
While celebrations will look different this year, the digital and virtual programs at Ontario museums, galleries, historic sites as well as libraries and archives provide an opportunity for Ontarians to safely reconnect with and celebrate their local history and community.
In recognition of Heritage Week 2021, Heritage Mississauga has partnered with the City of Mississauga’s Museums of Mississauga and Mississauga Culture divisions for a week long program #HowDoYouHeritage.
Throughout the week we will be exploring designated heritage buildings that are currently restaurants in Mississauga.
We invite you to share some of your favorite designated properties in Mississauga by tagging us in a photo with food you have ordered from one of the featured restaurants or a picture of you visiting a heritage property in Mississauga.
Heritage Week runs from February 15 to February 21, 2021 and provides an opportunity to learn about some of the incredible heritage in Mississauga, reflect on the importance of preservation and to appreciate the impact heritage properties have had on our landscape in their historic value and current function.
Hashtags To Search To Get Involved:
Heritage Week Links:
Ontario Heritage Trust: https://www.heritagetrust.on.ca/
National Trust for Canada: https://nationaltrustcanada.ca/
City of Mississauga Culture
5732 Kennedy Road
The Elliott House was built by Adam Elliot, a Scottish immigrant, circa 1840, and the property remained in the Elliott family until 1885. Adam’s son, John Elliott, is also notable for having built the first reaping machine in Canada. From 1885 until 1962, the property was owned by several generations of the Culnan family, followed by Helen and Eric Barrett, who lived here between 1962 and 1985. Shortly after that, the building was converted to a restaurant and today this Designated heritage building is home to Culinaria Restaurant.
4650 Hurontario Street
The Willcox house was built by Amos and Charles Willcox between 1844 and 1850. Amos was a veteran of the War of 1812, and his son Charles was a respected and prominent farmer. The Willcox / Wilcox family owned the property from 1817 until 1887. Between 1885 and 1920, the Bonham family owned the house and surrounding 95 acre property. In 1989 the building was converted to a restaurant. Today, this Designated heritage building is home to The Wilcox Gastropub.
263 Queen Street South, Streetsville
Originally built as a private residence for Peter Douglass between 1842 and 1855, the building gets its name from its second owner, Bennet Franklin (1809-1876). The house was converted to an inn in 1876, and retained the name of the former owner. For a time it was known as the Queen’s Hotel. Restored in 1983, it is Mississauga’s oldest operating public house. Today this Designated heritage building in home to The Franklin House bar and grill.
7 John Street
Built by the sailing Peer family in the late 19th Century, from 1896 to 1947 this was the home of Stephen Lester Peer, a stonehooker lake captain who sailed in several different schooners out of Port Credit harbour, including the Madeleine and the Barque Swallow. From 1947 to 1978, this was home to a third generation of Peers, Herbert and Lola Peer. Bert Peer was a professional hockey player between 1932 and 1948, including playing one game in the NHL with the Detroit Red Wings. When Bert retired from hockey, he returned to Port Credit where he ran Peer’s Hardware. The Peer house was converted for commercial purposes in the late 1980s, and today is home to Chelsea Restaurant.
T.W. Robinson House
223 Queen Street South, Streetsville
This impressive building was the residence of Thomas Waller (T.W.) Robinson. Robinson operated a butcher shop and livery stable next door. He also served as Reeve of the Village in 1897. From 1906 until 1920, this was the home of Joseph and Violet Pinkney, and from 1920 until 1950 it was owned by the Quennell family. Later converted to commercial purpose, today this Designated heritage building is home to the Tea Room at Robinson-Bray House, as well as other commercial businesses.
The Graydon Block
235 Queen Street South, Streetsville
The Graydon Block was built in 1891 by John Graydon, but was owned and maintained by his nephew, William John Graydon. For a time, part of the building became home to the hardware store of Robert Greig, and over its history it has housed numerous commercial businesses. This Designated heritage building remains a focal point in downtown Streetsville and today is home to El Mariachi restaurant.