February 23rd 2010
February 4th 2010
The Region of Peel Archives and the Peel Heritage Complex will be undergoing some changes. The Complex received Infrastructure Stimulus funding to upgrade exhibition and storage facilities. To prepare for the changes, the Archives will be closed on Mondays effective January 4th, 2010. As of March 1st, 2010, the Archives Reading Room will be closed for approximately 15 months, until the fall of 2011. Access to records and information will be limited, but staff will still be able to assist. For more information, please visit www.peelheritagecomplex.org or phone 905-791-4055 x3630 (until March 1) and 905-791-7800 x3630 (after March 1).
February 4th 2010
The Town of Milton and Halton Region and the City of Mississauga received approval from the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing to realign the municipal boundary effective January 1, 2010. This results in a strip of land along the eastern boundary of the Town of Milton moving into the jurisdiction of the City of Mississauga. The area is bordered by Highway 401 to the north, Highway 403 to the south, Highway 407 to the east and Ninth Line to the west. The previous boundary between Mississauga and Milton was Ninth Line. In terms of local heritage, this change of municipal boundaries places several heritage properties within Mississauga which were previously part of the Town of Milton, including St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church, the heritage designated Bussell House, and several others. In the years to come we look forward to further documenting the history of this area.
February 3rd 2010
January 1st marks the official start of Port Credit’s much anticipated 175th Anniversary Celebrations. The Port Credit 175th Anniversary Executive Committee, Team Leaders and volunteers have been busy preparing special activities to commemorate this special year in Port Credit. Involvement by groups, individuals and organizations including Heritage Mississauga, The Mississauga South Historical Society and Museums of Mississauga ensures that 2010 will be a fun and memorable year in Port Credit. Heritage Mississauga and The Mississauga South Historical Society have been assisting us with wonderful photos and information for the year long events. This has been fun and informative seeing these photos for the first time. One of the many projects by Museums of Mississauga includes historic walking tours from April until October on the last Saturday of each month.
The Anniversary Celebration Day is on July 1, 2010 that we will be sharing along side Canada Day in Port Credit Memorial Park. Heritage Mississauga will be organizing the Sunrise Ceremony as well as the Native Component. There will be activities, entertainment, period costumes, pioneer breakfast and lunch, information and much more happening during the day. This will be a free day for all to enjoy.
Examples of commemorative events and projects happening throughout the entire year include, a Commemorative Flower Bed, a hallmark City Council meeting that will be held at the historical Clarke Hall, an ARTconnect project which will provide an art piece for generations to remember, live theater in November and many other additional events and projects. Something that we are very excited about is a Time Capsule; this will be viewed in the Port Credit Arena once the renovations are completed. The Time Capsule will be opened in 2035. This is a legacy that will be left behind for the future generations. The full years line up is posted on our website www.portcredit175.ca.
What a terrific group of people that the Port Credit 175th Anniversary Executive Committee is thrilled to be working with. BRAVO to everyone! Here is to celebrating Port Credit’s past, pride and future, all 175 years of it!
November 27th 2009
As many have undoubtedly noticed, the long-anticipated demolition of the Pinchin house and barn recently took place. Unfortunately, it was not possible to save either the historic house or barn due to advance decay and structural uncertainty. It was unfortunate to lose two significant structures such as these. The main farmhouse was built in a rare plank-on-plank style, and was originally built by the Rundle-O’Neill family circa 1865. The barn was likely built a short time late, circa 1875.
The Leslie Log House, which was built circa 1826 by the Leslie family, was relocated to this property in 1994. The Leslie Log House will remain on the property, and a working committee is already formed between the City of Mississauga, Museums of Mississauga and the Streetsville Historical Society to see the log house renovated and made accessible. The Log House is slated to become the new home of the Streetsville Historical Society and Archives.
For more information on the history of this unique property, which is now owned by the City of Mississauga and destined for a future park, please contact Heritage Mississauga. For information on the Streetsville Historical Society and the Leslie Log House rehabilitation project, please contact the Streetsville Historical Society.
UPDATE: In late December 2009 the heritage structures on the City-owned property, known locally as the Pinchin Property, were demolished. Sadly, the demolition was necessary due to the advanced deterioration of the buildings. Notable were the farmhouse and barn, built by the Rundle and O’Neill families circa 1870. The property is also home to a remnant apple orchard – Mississauga’s last commercial apple orchard which closed in 2004. Also on the property is the historically designated Leslie Log House, which was relocated here in 1994. The Leslie Log House will is slated to become the future home of the Streetsville Historical Society Archives.Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25