Summerville developed around the crossing of Dundas Street and the Etobicoke Creek. Originally known as Silverthorn’s Mill or Mill Place, settlers began to arrive in this vicinity prior to the War of 1812. The community grew to include a mill, two blacksmiths, hotel, tavern, general store, post office, two schools, church, and carriage works. Summerville began to disappear with the widening of Dundas Street and lowering of water levels in the Etobicoke Creek. There are few visible reminders of Summerville today, despite an extensive photograph history.