Canada Flag
Read more

This Is Dundas Street Video
Read more

Merry Christmas from Heritage Mississauga
Read more
Cawthra-Elliot, Grace & Harry

The Cawthra Estate, located at the southeast corner of Cawthra Road and the Queen Elizabeth Way, has a long history dating back to acquisition of the lands by the Cawthra family in 1808. By the 1920’s the land had passed through many hands within the Cawthra family, but finally was in the possession of Grace Cawthra, daughter of Henry Cawthra, a wealthy Toronto entrepreneur.

In 1926, Grace Cawthra-Elliot commissioned and had built the existing estate house, extensive gardens, walled garden, and various outbuildings, as a home for herself and newlywed husband, Major-General Harry Cawthra-Elliot. The house was to be a copy of the original family home, known as Yeadon Hall, in Yorkshire, England. It was carefully designed and executed to accommodate the elegant and refined lifestyle of the Cawthra-Elliots.

In 1947 a fire in the east wing of the house caused severe damage and much of this area of the house was rebuilt. Two years later Major-General Harry Cawthra-Elliot died of complications from pneumonia. From that time onward, the house and grounds slowly began to decay. In 1974 Grace Cawthra-Elliot passed away and the estate, for which there were no heirs, was bought by the City of Mississauga. The house and adjacent property is designated under the terms and conditions of the Ontario Heritage Act and operated by the City as a community meeting facility.

© Mississauga Heritage 2009