Canada Flag
Read more

This Is Dundas Street Video
Read more

Merry Christmas from Heritage Mississauga
Read more
Mississauga Expands Westward
Milton and Halton region boundaries shift

February 4th 2010

The Town of Milton and Halton Region and the City of Mississauga received approval from the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing to realign the municipal boundary effective January 1, 2010. This results in a strip of land along the eastern boundary of the Town of Milton moving into the jurisdiction of the City of Mississauga. The area is bordered by Highway 401 to the north, Highway 403 to the south, Highway 407 to the east and Ninth Line to the west. The previous boundary between Mississauga and Milton was Ninth Line. In terms of local heritage, this change of municipal boundaries places several heritage properties within Mississauga which were previously part of the Town of Milton, including St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church, the heritage designated Bussell House, and several others. In the years to come we look forward to further documenting the history of this area.

Happy 175th Anniversary Port Credit!
By Lydia Ordez-Niles

February 3rd 2010

January 1st marks the official start of Port Credit’s much anticipated 175th Anniversary Celebrations. The Port Credit 175th Anniversary Executive Committee, Team Leaders and volunteers have been busy preparing special activities to commemorate this special year in Port Credit.  Involvement by groups, individuals and organizations including Heritage Mississauga, The Mississauga South Historical Society and Museums of Mississauga ensures that 2010 will be a fun and memorable year in Port Credit.  Heritage Mississauga and The Mississauga South Historical Society have been assisting us with wonderful photos and information for the year long events.  This has been fun and informative seeing these photos for the first time.  One of the many projects by Museums of Mississauga includes historic walking tours from April until October on the last Saturday of each month. 

The Anniversary Celebration Day is on July 1, 2010 that we will be sharing along side Canada Day in Port Credit Memorial Park.  Heritage Mississauga will be organizing the Sunrise Ceremony as well as the Native Component.  There will be activities, entertainment, period costumes, pioneer breakfast and lunch, information and much more happening during the day.  This will be a free day for all to enjoy.

Examples of commemorative events and projects happening throughout the entire year include, a Commemorative Flower Bed, a hallmark City Council meeting that will be held at the historical Clarke Hall, an ARTconnect project which will provide an art piece for generations to remember, live theater in November and many other additional events and projects.  Something that we are very excited about is a Time Capsule; this will be viewed in the Port Credit Arena once the renovations are completed.  The Time Capsule will be opened in 2035. This is a legacy that will be left behind for the future generations.  The full year’s line up is posted on our website  

What a terrific group of people that the Port Credit 175th Anniversary Executive Committee is thrilled to be working with.  BRAVO to everyone!  Here is to celebrating Port Credit’s past, pride and future, all 175 years of it! 

Demolition of the historical house and barn
Development at the former Pinchin Farm and the Leslie Log House

November 27th 2009

As many have undoubtedly noticed, the long-anticipated demolition of the Pinchin house and barn recently took place. Unfortunately, it was not possible to save either the historic house or barn due to advance decay and structural uncertainty. It was unfortunate to lose two significant structures such as these. The main farmhouse was built in a rare plank-on-plank style, and was originally built by the Rundle-O’Neill family circa 1865. The barn was likely built a short time late, circa 1875.

The Leslie Log House, which was built circa 1826 by the Leslie family, was relocated to this property in 1994. The Leslie Log House will remain on the property, and a working committee is already formed between the City of Mississauga, Museums of Mississauga and the Streetsville Historical Society to see the log house renovated and made accessible. The Log House is slated to become the new home of the Streetsville Historical Society and Archives.

For more information on the history of this unique property, which is now owned by the City of Mississauga and destined for a future park, please contact Heritage Mississauga. For information on the Streetsville Historical Society and the Leslie Log House rehabilitation project, please contact the Streetsville Historical Society.

UPDATE: In late December 2009 the heritage structures on the City-owned property, known locally as the Pinchin Property, were demolished. Sadly, the demolition was necessary due to the advanced deterioration of the buildings. Notable were the farmhouse and barn, built by the Rundle and O’Neill families circa 1870. The property is also home to a remnant apple orchard – Mississauga’s last commercial apple orchard which closed in 2004. Also on the property is the historically designated Leslie Log House, which was relocated here in 1994. The Leslie Log House will is slated to become the future home of the Streetsville Historical Society Archives.

Britannia Farm - Development Proposal
This Farm is the Last of its Kind

November 15th 2009

The future of an intact Britannia Farm remains cloudy, and ultimately unlikely. The Britannia Farm is last relatively intact 200-acre farm within the limits of the City of Mississauga. Located northwest of Bristol Road and Hurontario Street, and stretching from Hurontario Street to McLachlan Road. Undeniably, the property is prime real estate within our city. The Peel District School Board has reached a tentative agreement to lease a portion of the property for development for tenure of 99 years. The agreement calls for the relocation and restoration of the farmhouse, Gardner-Dunton House and Conover Barn, and educational programs on the property being expanded. The development would start south of the Old Britannia Schoolhouse, run southward along the Hurontario Street corridor, and wrap around to Bristol Road. Approximately 85% of the property will remain undeveloped.

In the heritage community, at large, the announcement has been met with disappointment, as it was hoped that future planning for the farm would work with its existing contextual fabric. Public visions for the property have ranged from developing a “historic building preservation area”, a public central park, and even revert to a working farm, amongst many other ideas over the years.

The farm lot was deeded to the children of Peel County by the Crown, under King William IV, in 1833, for the support and maintenance of a school and for the advancement of education in Toronto Township. The rent from this School Reserve was used over the years to support the local school section and education throughout Peel County. Over the years the trusteeship of the farm property passed to the Peel District School Board.

Part of the farm property had been severed in the past for the old Britannia Schoolhouse and for the building of the Peel Board of Educations offices. In addition the existing 1852 one-room Britannia Schoolhouse, the property boasts several other heritage landmarks and features: the original farmhouse on the property, built circa 1865, was built in a traditional storey-and-a-half style; the circa 1832 Gardner-Dunton House, a large Georgian-style dwelling, was relocated to the property in 1990; the Conover Barn, relocated to the property from the Clarkson area and in place of the original barn on the property; the sugar bush, the last of its kind in Mississauga; and the remnant right-of-way of the long defunct radial railway – one of the last places in Mississauga where this rail route is still evident. Also, even though the individual structures and landscape features are independently significant, the contextual setting of the entire property is also a significant heritage asset to the City of Mississauga – truly the last of its kind in our city.

According to Board Chair Janet McDougald, the agreement allows the development company to apply for rezoning of the property in anticipation of building 850,000 sq. ft. of office space on 31.67 acres of the farm property. According to McDougald, the Board desired “to preserve this beautiful jewel in the middle of the City but we require long-term stable funding so students can better use it” and “it’s a wonderful facility but it’s underused for the value it could be producing for students.” The plan to build offices is just the latest in a long line of proposed projects for the farm, since active farming came to a close in the 1990s. “It all comes down to money, ultimately,” McDougald stated. “We’ve tried numerous things for the farm but there’s nothing in the (educational) funding formula that really covers it.”

Time will tell what the future holds for the Britannia Farm. Needless to say, all eyes will be upon the property. Regardless, it does not appear that the Britannia Farm will remain intact in the coming years.

Special thanks to John Stewart and the Mississauga News for the article: “Board to add eight high-rise offices to farm” by John Stewart, published on April 10th, 2008.

Britannia Farm: An Uncertain Future Update

The future of an intact Britannia Farm remains uncertain. Supporters who wished to see the 200-acre farm, which was deeded to the children of Peel County in 1833, remain intact were disappointed with the decision by the Provincial Government to allow the Peel District School Board to develop and lease 32 acres of the property for 99 years. The signing of the lease agreement is dependent upon the developer’s (Osmington) building plan meeting municipal standards. As part of the lease agreement, Osmington will seek to relocate three heritage buildings to elsewhere on the property, and as such they will have to make an application to do so through the City of Mississauga’s Heritage Advisory Committee.

Mississauga Train Derailment
Thirtieth Anniversary

November 10th 2009

Mississauga Heritage remembers the event that defined the .....

Cick here to see the Special Interest Page with all of the details about this event


Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
© Mississauga Heritage 2009