Canada Flag
Read more

This Is Dundas Street Video
Read more

Merry Christmas from Heritage Mississauga
Read more
CF-100 in Paul Coffey Park Restoration
City of Mississauga restores iconic airplane

September 5th 2017

The City of Mississauga has recently restored the CF-100 in Paul Coffey (formerly Wildwood) Park in Malton, championed by Ward 5 Councillor Carolyn Parrish:

A rededication ceremony will take place at noon on Sunday, September 24.

Mississauga News article:



Avro Canada CF-100 “Canuck”
With files from Heritage Mississauga

A Short History

The Avro Canada CF-100 “Canuck” (also referred to as the “Clunk” and the “Lead Sled”) was the first Canadian designed and built combat aircraft to reach operational status. The "Canuck" played a critical role in Canada’s participation in the defence of North America and Europe during the Cold War.

After the end of the Second World War, Canada was faced with the threat of possible attacks from the Soviet Union over the Arctic Circle and crossing into Canadian air space. As part of North America’s defence program against such threats, Canada was tasked with designing a powerful twin engine jet interceptor aircraft that could withstand all weather conditions, including the extreme temperatures of the Arctic. A.V. Roe Canada Limited, also known as Avro Canada, started development in 1946 in response to an RCAF requirement for a two seat, all weather jet interceptor. The CF-100 Mk. 1 prototype flew its maiden flight on 19 January, 1950 in Malton, with Gloster Aircraft Company’s Chief Test Pilot Bill Waterton at the controls.

Five prototype air frames were produced over the next four years, with the Mk. 4 being the first straight-winged jet aircraft to break the sound barrier in a dive under the control of test pilot Jan Zurakowski in December of 1952. The CF-100 Mk 3 went into mass production in 1950, with the first jets entering service in 1953. By 1954, the production of the Mk. 3 was changed to the Mk. 4, which used a more powerful Orenda engine.

A total of 692 CF-100s, spread over five marks (model variations), were produced between 1950 and 1958. The "Canuck" was known as a rugged, dependable aircraft. One of the best all-weather fighters available, it served Canada, NORAD, and NATO well.

The CF-100’s main role was interception of Soviet bombers that penetrated Canadian and Western European airspace. Early versions were armed with machine guns, while later versions were equipped with air-to-air rockets. When retired from their fighter role some aircraft were fitted with electronic countermeasures (ECM) equipment. The Canadian Forces continued to operate the CF-100 until December 1981.

The twin-engine CF-100’s short takeoff run, fine radar and fire control systems, and all-weather capability made it an effective interceptor. It had a maximum speed of almost 890 km/h and a range of 3,200 kilometres. At its peak, the CF-100 was utilized in nine interceptor squadrons across Canada. In 1956, a further four squadrons were moved to Europe to serve with NATO.

The CF-100 heralded a new era in aviation science, and would serve as the inspiration for many future aircraft, including the CF-105 Avro Arrow.

Avro Canada CF-100 Mk.5 “Canuck” in Malton
Tail number: 18619

This aircraft entered service in 1956 With 433 Squadron. 18619 served with No. 3 AW(F) Operational Training Unit at RCAF Station Bagotville, Quebec until early 1962. It was taken on strength by (re-assigned to) the Canadian Armed Forces at Camp Borden on 1 February 1968, but retained its RCAF serial number and markings. 18619 became an instructional airframe (listed as A-682) in 1969. It was struck off strength (retired) in 1972, having last served out of Camp Borden.

Originally destined for display at the Barrie Legion, the airframe was purchased for $500 by the Malton Royal Canadian Legion Branch 582. An agreement was reached with Ed Halliday, Parks and Recreation Director for the Town of Mississauga, to have the plane erected on a pedestal in the Legion Memorial Gardens at Wildwood Park (now Paul Coffey Park), and was officially unveiled in October 1972. Restoration was undertaken in 1994 and in 2017.

Avro Canada CF-100 Specifications

Engine                 2 Orenda 8’s, 6355 lbs. thrust each
Wingspan            52 feet
Length                52 feet 3 inches
Height                 14 feet 6 inches
Maximum Weight  33,000 pounds
Empty Weight       25,000 pounds
Service Ceiling      45,500 feet
Maximum Speed   1030 kilometres per hour

Remembering Dieppe
Marking the 75th Anniversary of Dieppe in the Second World War

August 22nd 2017

Remembering Dieppe, Remembering “Our Boys”

During the Second World War, on 19 August 1942, the Allies launched a major raid on the French coastal port of Dieppe. Operation Jubilee was the first Canadian Army engagement in the European theatre of the war, designed to test the Allies’ ability to launch amphibious assaults against Adolf Hitler’s "Fortress Europe." The raid was a disaster: More than 900 Canadian soldiers were killed, and thousands more were wounded and taken prisoner. Despite the bloodshed, the raid provided valuable lessons for subsequent Allied amphibious assaults on Africa, Italy and Normandy.

In terms of local Mississauga connections, almost certainly there were many from this community who were present at Dieppe, and research into our Second World War fallen is ongoing.

Private Robert Charles Butler of Clarkson, aged 28, served with the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry. He was killed in action at Dieppe on 19 August, 1942. He is remembered at the Brookwood Memorial in Surrey, United Kingdom and on the Port Credit War Memorial. We remember his brave service.

For more information on the Dieppe Raid, please visit:

June 6 marks the 73rd Anniversary of D-Day
Remembering "Our Boys" at the Normandy Landings and Juno Beach

June 6th 2017

June 6, 2017 marks the marks the 73 anniversary of D-Day and the Normandy Landings during the Second World War. Canadian troops landed at Juno Beach. We remember the many, many soldiers who lost their lives during the landing and the invasion of Europe that followed, including several of "our boys" from historic Mississauga: Rifleman Allan Murray Cheeseman of Lakeview; Lieutenant Charles William Cooper of Cooksville; Gunner Cyril de-Lisle Askin of Erindale; Rifleman Michael Costello of Port Credit; and Private Wallace Cameron Pickering of Port Credit, amongst many others. We will remember them.

Listed Heritage Building Demolished
The former Auld’s Butcher Shop in Clarkson Lost

May 4th 2017

Historic Landmark Demolished

The former Auld’s Butcher Shop building, located 1109 Clarkson Road North, was recently demolished.

The building was built in 1913 to serve as the Merchant Bank of Canada, and opened on November 23rd, 1913. The bank leased this building from Alex Durie, who operated the store next door. The Merchant Bank was absorbed into the Bank of Montreal in 1922, and this branch closed in 1938. The building was later acquired by James Penguilly. In 1947 it became home to Doug Auld Butcher Shop.

For more information on the demolition, please see:


Merchant Bank, Clarkson, c1920


Do Your Homework
Exhibit on the life and legacy of Hazel McCallion

April 12th 2017

Do Your Homework exhibit from the Museums of Mississauga

Explore the life and legacy of Hazel McCallion

As part of Canada’s 150th anniversary, the Museums of Mississauga will present an exhibition honouring former Mayor Hazel McCallion that captures the most captivating moments of her political career.

The exhibition explores the life and legacy of Hazel McCallion and showcases her contributions as a compassionate leader, sports enthusiast, Canadian icon and legacy maker. Artifacts and archival material from the Museums of Mississauga collection, as well as personal items from Hazel McCallion herself will be on display.

On April 12, join Hazel McCallion in Council Chambers for an intimate “In Conversation with Hazel” where she discusses leadership lessons and learnings from building the sixth largest city in Canada. Seating is limited.

The exhibition is open daily and runs from April 12 to April 26.

Opening Reception:
April 12, 2017
5 p.m. – 7 p.m. Exhibition Viewing
7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. “In Conversation with Hazel”

Guided Tours Available:
Monday to Saturday
12 pm - 4 pm


Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
© Mississauga Heritage 2009