December 9th 2011
Toronto’s War of 1812 Bicentennial Program Announced
A series of major events and legacy projects will define the City of Toronto’s two-year-long War of 1812 Bicentennial Commemoration, which kicks off next month.
From January 2012 until June 2013, hundreds of events and programs will take place at locations across the city.
For more information on the City of Toronto War of 1812 Bicentennial Program, please visit:
December 7th 2011
Artist Pat Hertzberg welcomed Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion to her solo art exhibit "Out of the Woods" at The Grange. The art exhibit closes on Friday, December 9th, 2011. The exhibit includes a portrait of Mayor McCallion, amongst many other original works of fibre/mixed media art. Please see the link below to the article from the Mississauga News.
For more information on Pat Hertzbergs art, please visit: www.PatHertzberg.com
November 23rd 2011
The Ontario Heritage Trust carried out a Favourite Sites survey during Doors Open Ontario 2011 in celebration of the program’s 10th anniversary.The survey consisted of 12 nominee sites in 15 different categories, and all 103 events in the program’s history were represented with at least one nominated site. There was also a category at the end of the survey for selecting a favourite overall Doors Open Ontario site.
After 3,142 individual votes, the results are now in. Please see the attached document for an overview of all nominees and all winners.
Meadowvale Miniature Village – situated in a private garden in Meadowvale – has been declared the people’s choice winner for favourite overall Doors Open Ontario site, right here in Mississauga!
Terry Wilson and his mother Rosemary have dedicated many years to the creation of this unique site. This site is well known to many both within and outside our city. Their delightful recreation of the local mill community has been featured in large editorials in The Toronto Star and House and Garden Magazine over the years. Terry’s recent addition for 2011, was a recreation of the Meadowvale train station on the old Credit Valley Railway line in the year 1900, including the actual sounds of the incoming steam engines. The sound is a great feature for family visits, bringing folks immediately back in time – attached is an image of Terry in railway uniform. Over the years for Doors Open Mississauga, Terry and Rosemary, together with a wonderful team of volunteers, welcomes visitors in uniform and conducts tours recalling Meadowvale’s unique history.
As the winning site, Meadowvale Miniature Village will receive a certificate from the Ontario Heritage Trust in the upcoming weeks.
November 17th 2011
Meadowvale area residents gathered at the Meadowvale Community Hall last night to discuss plans over the demolition of the bridge on Second Line West over the 401. For more information please visit:
November 14th 2011
In the early morning hours of November 12th, 2011, the Lambe-McDonald House, also known historically as the “Cantelon Cottage”, located at 1066 Old Derry Road in historic Meadowvale Village, was gutted by fire. The home had recently been sold, and was undergoing a major renovation at the time of the fire. The cause of the fire is not immediately known.
A portion of the house was believed to have been built by William Lambe circa 1921. It is unlikely that Lambe lived in the house, as he had purchased the nearby Commercial Hotel in 1915 and converted it to his residence. William also owned a general store in Meadowvale Village, and it is possible that the dwelling at 1066 Old Derry Road was initially used to house employees or rented to tenants. William Lambe sold the house in 1939 to Marjorie Mann, who in turn sold it in 1943 to Emily and Jabez Austin. Emily Austin sold the house in 1961 to Sydney and Joy Buttle. The Buttle’s ran the nearby (former) Texaco Gas Station and Garage. The Buttle’s rented the house to tenants, at which time we find reference to it as the “Cantelon Cottage”. In 1967 the house was sold to Richard and Pauline Martin, who in turn sold it to the McDonald family in 1969. Significant alterations and extensions were added to the original dwelling between 1967 and 1971, creating a triple gable, half-timbered, Tudor-revival-styled building. One of the only surviving exterior features of the original house evident in the altered building was the large bay window on the front-west façade.
Update: Cause Undetermined
The lot once occupied by the Lambe-McDonald House at 1066 Old Derry Road Meadowvale Village is now up for sale as a building lot - which is a rare opportunity within a Heritage Conservation District.
For more information on Conservation Principals and Design Guidelines for Meadowvale Village Heritage Conservation District, please see: www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/meadowvalevillagehcdguidelines.pdfPage: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25