Annual General Meeting
Read more

Heritage Luncheon 2017
Read more

Haunted Mississauga 2016
Read more
Listed Heritage Building Demolished
The former Auld’s Butcher Shop in Clarkson Lost

May 4th 2017

Historic Landmark Demolished

The former Auld’s Butcher Shop building, located 1109 Clarkson Road North, was recently demolished.

The building was built in 1913 to serve as the Merchant Bank of Canada, and opened on November 23rd, 1913. The bank leased this building from Alex Durie, who operated the store next door. The Merchant Bank was absorbed into the Bank of Montreal in 1922, and this branch closed in 1938. The building was later acquired by James Penguilly. In 1947 it became home to Doug Auld Butcher Shop.

For more information on the demolition, please see:

https://www.mississauga.com/news-story/7285426-historic-butcher-shop-demolished-after-error-at-city-building-department/

 

Merchant Bank, Clarkson, c1920

 

© Mississauga Heritage 2009