Canada Flag
Read more

This Is Dundas Street Video
Read more

Merry Christmas from Heritage Mississauga
Read more
Summer Student Positions
Looking for candidates

April 17th 2018

Heritage Mississauga will be hiring summer research students for the 2018 summer in the coming weeks. If you are currently enrolled in full-time post-secondary studies, and returning to full-time post-secondary studies in the fall semester and are interested in working with us, please send your resume to history@heritagemississauga.org or fax: 905-828-8176, or call 905-828-8411 ext. 0.

Passing of Jim Tovey
Mississauga Ward 1 Councillor Remembered

January 16th 2018

It was with great sadness and shock that we learned of the sudden passing of City of Mississauga Ward 1 Councillor Jim Tovey on January 15, 2018.

Jim was a passionate advocate for, and supporter of, heritage preservation and natural conservation, and a true visionary who looked to make Ward 1, Mississauga and the world a better place.

Jim was one of the driving forces behind many endeavors, notably the Small Arms Society, the adaptive reuse of the Small Arms Building, the Lakeview Legacy Project, Inspiration Lakeview, and the Lakeview Waterfront Connection, just to name a few.

After many years as an active resident and citizen member of the City’s Heritage Advisory Committee, he was elected to Mississauga City Council in 2010, representing Ward 1. A true Heritage Hero, Jim served on many Boards and advisory committees, including serving as a Board Member for Heritage Mississauga.

Jim was born and raised in Malton, and was a long-time resident of Lakeview. Our thoughts are with his family at this most difficult time.

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/cityhall/pressreleases?paf_gear_id=9700020&itemId=8600080q

Valley Home Farm Rebirth
New lease on life for historic property

November 23rd 2017

The City of Mississauga is undertaking a revitalization of the historic Valley Home Farm property in Ward 11:

https://www.mississauga.com/opinion-story/7928547-valley-home-farm-gets-another-generational-makeover/

CF-100 in Paul Coffey Park Restoration
City of Mississauga restores iconic airplane

September 5th 2017

The City of Mississauga has recently restored the CF-100 in Paul Coffey (formerly Wildwood) Park in Malton, championed by Ward 5 Councillor Carolyn Parrish: http://www.carolynparrish.ca/cf100/

A rededication ceremony will take place at noon on Sunday, September 24.

Mississauga News article: https://www.mississauga.com/news-story/7486494-city-of-mississauga-restores-iconic-warplane/

 

 

Avro Canada CF-100 “Canuck”
With files from Heritage Mississauga


A Short History

The Avro Canada CF-100 “Canuck” (also referred to as the “Clunk” and the “Lead Sled”) was the first Canadian designed and built combat aircraft to reach operational status. The "Canuck" played a critical role in Canada’s participation in the defence of North America and Europe during the Cold War.

After the end of the Second World War, Canada was faced with the threat of possible attacks from the Soviet Union over the Arctic Circle and crossing into Canadian air space. As part of North America’s defence program against such threats, Canada was tasked with designing a powerful twin engine jet interceptor aircraft that could withstand all weather conditions, including the extreme temperatures of the Arctic. A.V. Roe Canada Limited, also known as Avro Canada, started development in 1946 in response to an RCAF requirement for a two seat, all weather jet interceptor. The CF-100 Mk. 1 prototype flew its maiden flight on 19 January, 1950 in Malton, with Gloster Aircraft Company’s Chief Test Pilot Bill Waterton at the controls.

Five prototype air frames were produced over the next four years, with the Mk. 4 being the first straight-winged jet aircraft to break the sound barrier in a dive under the control of test pilot Jan Zurakowski in December of 1952. The CF-100 Mk 3 went into mass production in 1950, with the first jets entering service in 1953. By 1954, the production of the Mk. 3 was changed to the Mk. 4, which used a more powerful Orenda engine.

A total of 692 CF-100s, spread over five marks (model variations), were produced between 1950 and 1958. The "Canuck" was known as a rugged, dependable aircraft. One of the best all-weather fighters available, it served Canada, NORAD, and NATO well.

The CF-100’s main role was interception of Soviet bombers that penetrated Canadian and Western European airspace. Early versions were armed with machine guns, while later versions were equipped with air-to-air rockets. When retired from their fighter role some aircraft were fitted with electronic countermeasures (ECM) equipment. The Canadian Forces continued to operate the CF-100 until December 1981.

The twin-engine CF-100’s short takeoff run, fine radar and fire control systems, and all-weather capability made it an effective interceptor. It had a maximum speed of almost 890 km/h and a range of 3,200 kilometres. At its peak, the CF-100 was utilized in nine interceptor squadrons across Canada. In 1956, a further four squadrons were moved to Europe to serve with NATO.

The CF-100 heralded a new era in aviation science, and would serve as the inspiration for many future aircraft, including the CF-105 Avro Arrow.



Avro Canada CF-100 Mk.5 “Canuck” in Malton
Tail number: 18619


This aircraft entered service in 1956 With 433 Squadron. 18619 served with No. 3 AW(F) Operational Training Unit at RCAF Station Bagotville, Quebec until early 1962. It was taken on strength by (re-assigned to) the Canadian Armed Forces at Camp Borden on 1 February 1968, but retained its RCAF serial number and markings. 18619 became an instructional airframe (listed as A-682) in 1969. It was struck off strength (retired) in 1972, having last served out of Camp Borden.

Originally destined for display at the Barrie Legion, the airframe was purchased for $500 by the Malton Royal Canadian Legion Branch 582. An agreement was reached with Ed Halliday, Parks and Recreation Director for the Town of Mississauga, to have the plane erected on a pedestal in the Legion Memorial Gardens at Wildwood Park (now Paul Coffey Park), and was officially unveiled in October 1972. Restoration was undertaken in 1994 and in 2017.


Avro Canada CF-100 Specifications

Engine                 2 Orenda 8’s, 6355 lbs. thrust each
Wingspan            52 feet
Length                52 feet 3 inches
Height                 14 feet 6 inches
Maximum Weight  33,000 pounds
Empty Weight       25,000 pounds
Service Ceiling      45,500 feet
Maximum Speed   1030 kilometres per hour

Remembering Dieppe
Marking the 75th Anniversary of Dieppe in the Second World War

August 22nd 2017

Remembering Dieppe, Remembering “Our Boys”

During the Second World War, on 19 August 1942, the Allies launched a major raid on the French coastal port of Dieppe. Operation Jubilee was the first Canadian Army engagement in the European theatre of the war, designed to test the Allies’ ability to launch amphibious assaults against Adolf Hitler’s "Fortress Europe." The raid was a disaster: More than 900 Canadian soldiers were killed, and thousands more were wounded and taken prisoner. Despite the bloodshed, the raid provided valuable lessons for subsequent Allied amphibious assaults on Africa, Italy and Normandy.

In terms of local Mississauga connections, almost certainly there were many from this community who were present at Dieppe, and research into our Second World War fallen is ongoing.

Private Robert Charles Butler of Clarkson, aged 28, served with the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry. He was killed in action at Dieppe on 19 August, 1942. He is remembered at the Brookwood Memorial in Surrey, United Kingdom and on the Port Credit War Memorial. We remember his brave service.

For more information on the Dieppe Raid, please visit:
www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/dieppe-raid/

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
© Mississauga Heritage 2009